Arizona Shoplifting Laws
If you’re facing shoplifting charges in Arizona, we can help. Here at Tait & Hall our highly-experienced team of Arizona criminal defense lawyers and staff have decades of combined experience in defending individuals against shoplifting charges and other complex cases.
What defines “shoplifting”?
According to Arizona law, a person commits shoplifting in Arizona if, while in an establishment in which merchandise is displayed for sale, the person knowingly obtains such goods of another with the intent to deprive that person of such goods by:
- Removing any of the goods from the immediate display or from any other place within the establishment without paying the purchase price
- Charging the purchase price of the goods to a fictitious person or any person without that person’s authority
- Paying less than the purchase price of the goods by some trick or artifice such as altering, removing, substituting or otherwise disfiguring any label, price tag or marking
- Transferring the goods from one container to another
The Consequences for Shoplifting in Arizona
The classification of filing shoplifting charges is based on the value of the stolen property.
- If the value of the stolen item(s) is more than $2,500 = up to two-year prison term with eligibility for probation if it is the first offense
- If the value of the stolen item(s) is more than $1,000, but less than $2,000 = up to a 1.5-year prison term with eligibility for probation if it is the first offense
- If the value of the stolen item(s) is less than $1,000 = up to a six-month jail sentence with three years of probation and steep fines
Arizona Shoplifting & Criminal Defense Lawyers
Guarding Against the Consequences of a Shoplifting Conviction
What may seem like a minor offense can lead to steep, long-lasting consequences. At Tait & Hall, we understand what is at stake. With decades of combined experience, our team of Arizona criminal defense lawyers will thoroughly investigate your shoplifting case to protect you rights and your future.
There are several defenses we can potentially use to fight shoplifting charges, including Miranda rights violations, denial of rights to counsel and more.
Why choose Tait & Hall?
Several attorneys on our criminal defense team are former Maricopa County Prosecutors. As a result, our team has a thorough understanding of how police and prosecutors work. We promise to use our thorough knowledge base to help defend you in your case.
Schedule a Free Consultation Today
When you face shoplifting charges, much is at stake. You need an aggressive, knowledgeable attorney to defend you and your rights.
Call our Phoenix office at (480) 405-6767 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.